604 W. Fairmont Parkway
La Porte, Texas 77571
Resident of La Porte Texas since 1962
Graduate of La Porte HS class of 1971
Life-long Texan, born to parents who were active in La Porte; Mom a retired LPISD secretary and Dad a longtime La Porte businessman on Main Street.
Married to my wonderful wife Gail, a retired LPISD teacher and community volunteer.
Proud father to 3 outstanding young men, 2 spectacular grandsons, and one beautiful daughter-in-law, who is a counselor in the LPISD. While equally proud of all my boys, my oldest son Jeff has a successful business in La Porte and was recognized as "2014 Volunteer of the Year" by the La Porte Chamber of Commerce.
Business & Professional
I have worked in Industrial sales since 1978, with an emphasis on tungsten carbide tooling, until recently when my focus shifted to tungsten "engineered components" and "surface technology" wear solutions.
Currently employed as Global Key Account Manager for Kennametal Inc., developing solutions with select partners in the "Oil & Gas" and "Energy" business sectors.
In addition to my primary focus of working with major energy service companies headquartered in Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma, my career has taken me to projects throughout Western USA, Mexico, Canada, South America, Japan, and China. I can truly say, there’s no place like home; and the best part of each trip is coming home to La Porte and family!
Civic & Community ActivityAppointments and Affiliations
I was elected to the La Porte City Council in 2010 representing District 5, which stretches to the City’s boundaries, South and East. I consider it an honor and privilege to serve as public servant to this great city and its citizens. As such, I am involved in many areas of city government and community services.
Enactments and Initiatives
- Appointee to the Economic Development Corporation, also known as 4B Committee
- Appointee to the Fiscal Affairs Committee
- Appointee to the Drainage and Flooding Committee
- Former Mayor Pro-Tem
- Active participant of the Harris County Mayors and Councilmen Association (HCMCA)
- Appointed to HCMCA nominating subcommittee to fill position to the Houston Ship Channel Security District
- Appointee to the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership (BAHEP)
- Alternate city representative to the Houston Galveston Area Council (HGAC)
- Active participant in Texas Municipal League, and have attended every state convention since 2010. Attended dozens of seminars addressing all areas of municipal government.
- Past city appointee to the "Bay Area Convention & Visitors Bureau"
- Active in organizing local opposition to "Biggert Waters Act" which resulted in HR 3370, an amended version signed into law in March 2014, which caps flood insurance premiums and repealed FEMA’s authority to raise flood insurance rates at the time of property sale.
- Championed efforts to establish golf cart ordinance, resulting in restricted use of electric and gas golf carts within La Porte city limits.
- Championed concerns about smoking in public buildings that led to a smoking ban in city buildings and the creation of a more restrictive non-smoking ordinance in La Porte.
- Continually in communication with the Port of Houston to improve and strengthen community relationships and to ensure they remain committed to implementing new solutions to noise and air pollution issues emanating from the Bayport container terminal.
- Pushed for residential development on Wharton Weems Rd resulting in over 90 beautiful new homes in District 5.
- Oppose "Heavy Haul" Legislation and support roadway restrictions for 18 wheelers within La Porte city limits.
- Support regional efforts to build the "Ike Dike" and see it as the ultimate solution to storm surge devastation within the Galveston Bay region.
- Active in various other projects in La Porte and District 5, including street and sidewalk repair, ordinance and code enforcement, permitting, home owner’s association functions, and support and planning of capital improvement projects.
- Active in supporting the La Porte Chamber of Commerce and their activities.
- Support the efforts of the "Friends of the Pavilion"
- Active in support of the "Economic Alliance" and their activities
- Active member of First United Methodist Church La Porte, currently serving as Lay Leader.
BS Environmental Management- University of Houston Clear Lake
AA Business – San Jacinto College
Numerous professional certifications in metal working and manufacturing processes.
I want to hear where District 5 citizens and La Porte residents stand on issues facing our city or issues important to you. Please feel free to contact me via email or call city hall to make an appointment.