| || |
|Police Officer Eligibility Requirements|
Primary Eligibility Requirements
- Must be at least 21 years old at the time of appointment to police officer.
- May not be 45 years of age or older. However, applicants over 45 may apply if they have at least 5 years of military experience (active duty) or previous police experience.
- Must possess at least a GED.
- Must not have a discharge from military service "under less than honorable conditions".
- Must satisfactorily complete a state certified police academy and pass the state licensing exam if not certified already.
- If certified already, must possess a current license with TCLEOSE.
- Must pass a psychological, polygraph and physical examination, and a drug screen.
- Must pass an oral interview examination and background check.
- Must demonstrate weapons proficiency.
- Must be free from drug dependency or illegal drug use.
- Must not have ever been convicted of a felony or ever placed on community supervision, or ever convicted of barratry.
- Must not be on court ordered community supervision or probation for any offense above a Class C misdemeanor.
- Must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor above a Class C within the last 5 years.