E-mail storyPrint friendly format
Homepage > City Departments > Police > FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I file a police report?
You can contact a police dispatcher at 281-471-2141 and request to speak with an officer. Reports can also be filed in person at the La Porte Police Department located at 3001 North 23rd Street. (North 23rd @ Spencer Hwy)

How can I check on the status of my case?
Any complainant or victim can check on the status of their case by calling the detective who is assigned the follow up investigation at 281-842-3173. Having the case number ready when calling is always helpful.  Also, the Police Department uses O.S.S.I. software, where you are able to check the status of your case, directly, on-line, via Police-to-Citizen software (see link along right margin of page).

It should be noted that detailed information on an ongoing investigation is not always available, even to a victim or complainant and is not available to the general public.

How do I get a copy of a police/accident report?
You can pick up a copy of an offense report or accident report from the Records Division at the La Porte Police Department. For cost information call the Records Division Monday - Friday 8am to 4pm at (281) 842-3154 .

Why does it take so long for a detective to call me back after I've reported a crime?
After a patrol officer conducts an initial investigation and writes an offense report, the report is approved by a patrol supervisor and forwarded to a detective supervisor for assignment. This may take a day or two in itself, longer if a holiday weekend is involved. Moreover, detectives maintain a caseload assignment that averages 35-40 cases a month. If a new case has little or no investigative "leads", it will not usually take precedence over a case with more workable information. Add to this the other duties competing for a detective's time (court appearances, training days, vacation, assisting in other major cases) and it is readily apparent that an immediate contact by a detective is not always possible.

How do I get my stolen property back after the police have recovered it?
A complainant may contact the detectives assigned the case to arrange to pick up their property. They can also contact the La Porte Police Property Custodian at 281-842-3121 during normal business hours to arrange pick up. However, it should be noted that property that is considered evidence is often necessary for trial and it might not be released to the owner until the trial is completed. This status is usually determined by the District Attorney's Office.

My friends told me who stole my stuff and I told the police, but they won't arrest him. Why is that?
Information given to the police on a criminal case is not always admissible to obtain a search or arrest warrant. Any information from a person who is not an eye witness (i.e.: he said-she said) must be corroborated by other evidence in order for a search/seizure or arrest warrant to be obtained from a court. Often times, rumors and stories abound "on the street" and these are taken as fact, when in fact, they are not true. However, useful information obtained from a third party may help a detective in his investigation and should always be forwarded to him.

As with all the divisions of the police department, the Criminal Investigation Division is dedicated to the service of all our community's citizens and visitors. All the division's members stand ready to give their best effort in the constant battle against crime.

I need a fingerprint card. How can I get fingerprinted ?
The I.D. Division will do fingerprint cards for $6.00 per person but you should call first for a time when someone is available.

Does La Porte have a juvenile curfew?
Yes, the City of La Porte has a midnight curfew for subjects under 18 years of age.

Does the La Porte Police Department allow citizens to ride along with officers?
Yes, qualified residents may ride once every six months. Also, the La Porte Police Department does have a Citizen's Police Academy and graduates may ride monthly if they desire. Contact the Support Services Sergeant at (281) 842-3171 for more details.

Do I need an alarm permit for my residence?
Yes, you are required to obtain a permit from the City of La Porte if you have a monitored alarm at your residence.

There is a one time $35 charge for the permit and annual renewal is $35. Contact city hall for further information.

Click here to read Ordinances.

Can I visit someone in jail?
Yes, if you are related. Visiting hours are from 8am-5pm. Prisoners at limited to two visits per day by relatives, attorneys and clergy.

How do I get information on someone in jail? Can I bond someone out of jail?
You can contact the on duty Public Safety Attendant at 281-842-3125 to get information on prisoners and bonding procedures.

What does it mean when the Warning Sirens are going off ?
The City of La Porte tests the Community Warning Sirens on Saturdays at noon.  At any other time the sirens are to notify citizens to shelter-in-place.  Click here for more information.

Who do I contact to take care of a traffic citation?
You can contact the La Porte Municipal Court at 281-471-4683 during regular business hours.