Disaster Kit Checklist: Preparedness in La Porte is not just for Hurricane Season. Avoid panic buying by stocking up on these items over the entire year. It is safer, more efficient, and less expensive than waiting until disaster strikes.
Create a Family Disaster Plan
- Identify ahead of time where you could go if told to evacuate. Choose several places: a family's home in another town, a motel, or a shelter.
- Keep telephone numbers of these places on hand, as well as maps to each location.
- If you will need assistance evacuating before the storm, call 2-1-1 or contact the La Porte Senior Services Center at 281-470-9897.
- Carry a list of telephone numbers that includes emergency contacts, family members, and other important numbers, such as your family doctor.
- Keep your gas tanks full during hurricane season.
- Make sure to include a plan for your pets.
Stay informed before, during, and after the storm to better protect your home and your family.
- Learn about the different hurricane evacuation routes. View the Hurricane Evacuation Map (PDF).
- Review the City's local emergency plans.
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio and battery-powered radio to stay informed throughout the storm.
- Monitor local radio and TV stations for updates before and after the storm.
- The Office of Emergency Management now uses social media to keep our citizens informed. Like La Porte Office of Emergency Management on Facebook and follow La Porte OEM on Twitter.
- Updated information will be posted on the Citizens Hotline at 281-470-0040.
Phone Notification System
The City will notify you before, during, and after a storm through local media and the City's phone notification system. With this system, the City may contact you via phone, email, and text message. Make sure to register your cell phone number so that you will continue to receive updates once you have evacuated. Click here to register.