What permits do I need to open a business?
  • A zoning permit (La Porte's version of a certificate of occupancy) is required for all new businesses
    • A certificate of occupancy is issued only for new construction
    • More information on the zoning ordinance can be found at http://laportetx.gov/234/Zoning-Ordinance or by calling the Planning Division at 281-470-5057
  • Remodel work to the building you are purchasing/leasing may need a permit. Please visit http://laportetx.gov/1217/Building-Permits for more information
  • The City of La Porte issues business licenses for different types of businesses. Please visit http://laportetx.gov/896/Business-Licenses for more information.
  • For any additional questions that do not pertain to the inspections services division, please call the City of La Porte main number at 281-470-5020 and the receptionist can get you in contact with the correct department. 

Show All Answers

1. How can I pay for my permit?
2. What permits do I need to open a business?
3. How can I complete my contractor registration?
4. Can a homeowner pull a permit?
5. How much does a permit cost?
6. How long is a permit active?
7. What if my project is in the floodplain?
8. Where can I get a copy of my property survey, building permits, or building plans?
9. Who do I contact about what I can develop on my property?
10. Can the City recommend a contractor for me to hire?
11. Can I pay extra to expedite my permit review?
12. Do you offer inspections outside of business hours?
13. Do I need a permit for a garage sale?